Additions and Corrections: Putnam County

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

(page 576) Major Land Transactions: The Highland Patent was divided in 1754 into nine lots granted to Susannah Philipse (Beverly Robinson), Mary Philipse (Roger Morris) and Philip Philipse, each of whom received three lots.  

(page 577) Carmel: Red Mills is the old name of Mahopac Falls and in the 18th century was the only hamlet in the area. Travis Corners and Agor Corners appear on 19th-century maps.

(page 577) Kent:  In 1879 Kent annexed the northeastern part of Philipstown, not the northwestern part.

(page 577) Oblong:  In 1772 all of Oblong in South Precinct became Southeast Precinct, later Town of Southeast or Southeasttown.

(page 578) Patterson:  In the 18th century the hamlet in what would become Patterson was sometimes referred to as “Fredericksburgh” or “the city.”

(page 578) Philipstown: Storm King is in Orange County.

(page 578) Putnam Valley: Add Smith Corners.

(page 580) “Enumeration of the Inhabitants, Brewster, 1898 and 1902.”  Handwritten roll of residents.  In  Southeast Museum; scanned copies and index available in Historian’s Office.  

(page 580) Putnam County Clerk:  The oldest court records, deeds, mortgages have been transferred to the Putnam County Archives.

(page 580) Putnam County Surrogate’s Court: The oldest surrogate’s records have been transferred to County Archives.

(page 580) Putnam County Archives: Among the governmental records, the County Archives holds criminal and civil court records from 1812, Wills (1812-1931), Probate records (1812-1915), Guardianship, Letters Testamentary, Letters of Administration, and Records of Old Estates from 1812, Deeds and Mortgages (1812-1931), Reports of Trustees of Common Schools (1813-1941), Tax Collectors books from all towns (1857-1907), Almshouse records, Marriage records (1908-1936), and Coroner’s Inquests (1820-1913).  Further information about the County Archives holdings may be found at www.Putnamcountyny.com/historian.

(page 580) Putnam History Museum: It operates a museum in the foundry school.   New email: office@PutnamHistoryMuseum.org; new web address: www.PutnamHistoryMuseum.org

(page 580) Alice Curtis Desmond & Hamilton Fish Library: New email, desmondfishdirector@gmail.com

(page 582) Town of Patterson, Christina Mucciolo. Patterson (N.Y.) Town Clerk Records, 1795–1863. Rhinebeck, NY: Kinship, 2007.

 

Further Reading

Wheeler, Glendon E. comp. Master Death Index: Putnam County, New York.  Dayton, NV: The Author, 2014. 2 vols.

Buck, Clifford M. Dutchess County, NY, Tax Lists, 1718-1787.  Rhinebeck, NY: Kinship, 1991. 

“Town of Southeast, Tax List, 1779” in The Dutchess, Vol. 15, No. 3 (1988), published by the Dutchess County Historical Society, Poughkeepsie, NY.